Creative and innovative designer and leader with 20 year track record of providing winning strategy, design, and leadership at the forefront of major digital experience initiatives for global brands. Proven ability to consistently provide innovative solutions as an external consultant as well as working inside the publishing, advertising, financial services and healthcare sectors. Core competencies include:Creative Direction | Design Thinking | User-Centered Design | UX Research | UI Design | Mobile-First WCAG 2.0 Standards | Brand Experience | User Testing | Task Analysis | Visual Design & Development
Conceptual Thinking | Prototyping | Engagement Strategy | Journey Mapping | Intranet Design
Head of Experience Design
2018 - present
- Returning to my favorite work experience after a decade
- Establishing a robust UX research and design practice
- Designing mobile app experiences for people with diabetes, from conducting phased UX research from discovery, through design thinking workshops, concepts, iterative prototyping, iterative usability research, formative and summative testing, leading up to CE and FDA approval, and continuing with post market surviellance to inform continuous improvement.
- Human factors validation for consumer medical devices.
2018 - 2018
- Doing all the UX things, but this time for internal research applications and enterprise back-office transactional flows and record-keeping
Corporate Vice President - UX Strategy & Design
- Defined and established a UX-UCD process: research, strategy, design, validation and progressive improvement process to drive innovation, usability, engagement and optimization.
- Led internal UX resources and guided external teams (Sapient Nitro, Code & Theory).
- Successfully evangelized UX/Mobile-first, UCD & Design Thinking throughout the company.
- On-boarded applications and tools to conduct qualitative and quantitative user research.
- Developed wireframes, user-flows, personas, user-journeys & prototyping workflow.
- Used analytics, session recording insights, standards research and online user-testing platforms to drive improved interaction design and validate feature enhancements.
- Developed A/B test optimizations yielding multiple >10% improvements in engagement and conversion as a component of a robust Test & Learn strategy.
- Ensured compliance with current standards for mobile, interaction patterns & accessibility.
Provided UX leadership, ran inclusive design workshops & designed prototypes to reveal and define the experience strategy, customer experience journeys and feature roadmaps, ensure necessary capabilities and design affordances throughout the ground-up re-design and re-platforming of BOTH NYL.com (Adobe Experience & Marketing Clouds), and the Square, NYL’s Collaboration Intranet (Jive platform).
Associate Director - Creative Services Manager
Providing Creative Direction for a global, Fortune 50 in-house agency and experience design shop.
Managed art directors, designers, and multimedia artists and the process from discovery and requirements through concept, prototype, UX design, Brand expression to final execution.
Worked closely with multinational clients, marketers & creatives and on and off-shore technologists to develop, test & validate solutions that were usable and effective.
Provided management and hands-on development of wireframes, user-flows, prototypes, test plans, Visual design, UI, interaction design patterns and content strategy.
Gathered client needs through interviews, requirements documentation, and iterative co-design sessions where concepts were tried, tested and socialized.
Award: My team’s intranet redesign earned inclusion in NN/g group’s 10 Best Intranets of 2013.
Visual & Experience Design / UX Lead
- Designed the new User Experience, Brand graphics, Visual Display and UI for Bayer Healthcare’s flagship Diabetes Desktop Application, as well as provided expertise in the development of supporting online, tutorial and packaging content.
- Planned roadmap for future development.
- Provided analysis of existing software, integrating market research and feedback from users, internal stakeholders and customer support to enhance clarity, information and ease-of-use.
- Results: Silver Medical Design Excellence Award, 2010
Associate Creative Director
Primary Accounts: MetLife, United States Postal Service, Samsung, AT&T Business
Projects: Integrated (Digital + Direct) Campaigns, Transactional Web portals, Online Brand development, banners, emails, mini-sites, styleguides, Flash interstitials & tours.
Functions: Oversaw a team of up to 7. Conducted customer research, Analysis & Concept, Design & user experience direction & oversight, Client presentations, usability tests
Results: Web Marketing Award for MetLife transactional portals
Lead Design Consultant — Principal
Delivered interactive design and development, print, out-of-home, graphic design, identity development, art direction, Flash animation & imaging. Owned full lifecycle development from requirements to launch.
Corporate Clients: Unilever NA-Corp Intranets & communication portal: Bayer Diagnostic-Flash XML Presentation Architecture; New York Military Academy; Johnson & Johnson Merck, Merck Medco, Morgan Stanley Dean Witter
Agency Clients: Pharma: Pace, Carbon, Ferguson, Noesis, Adient, Torre Lazur, Integrated Communications, LLNS- Creative Direction & concepting, Website Design/Development, Flash Marketing aids, Presentation tools & Pitch Development, print campaign creative development.
General: Wunderman (Microsoft, Citi, Chevron), Arnold (Hershey Kisses, Alli pitch strategy support) email campaigns, Flash & embedded video Banners.
Design Lead/Creative Director
Responsibilities: Creative Development and User Experience for Hearst Publishing’s on-line ventures: Flagship site HomeArts Network – HomeArts.com, Flagship sites for Good Housekeeping, RedBook, Country Living, Victoria, Popular Mechanics, Marie Claire, House Beautiful etc.
Roles: Creative concepts, Online Brand Development, Brand Experience & UI enhancements & validation, Design team management, mentoring, ongoing usability evaluations.Results: Second highest yearly online ad revenues for all web 1997, Webby Nomination
Created work for high-end creative pitches, specializing in high-quality overnight turnaround for top agencies trying to land new accounts.
Developed packaging concepts and production-ready art for Elizabeth Arden, including the pattern repeat on the Chloé perfume packaging.
Two Forbes covers, dozens of book covers (including one that made page 6 of the New York Post), jacket art and internal illustration projects for many of the biggest Publishing Houses, Advertising Agencies, and Magazines
ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Illustration — Visual Storytelling